Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Where We Are And Where We've Been

I’m going to stop apologizing. Life is busy and life is full of wonderful things right now, and blogging comes along when there’s a small opening in the day. Don’t get me wrong, I love using this method of communication and updates on us, but there are many, many other things in the day.

Life is good right now. Noah is a growing and thriving 3-month old. He’s smiling. He’s laughing. He loves when his dad lifts him high above his head and flies him around the room. He’s sleeping through the night (most nights), which makes mom and dad very happy. We continue to look at each other each day and just wonder how we got so lucky.

Parenting opens up this whole new world. We knew it was going to be unlike anything we had ever experienced, and that it would be something that no amount of reading could prepare you for. But I did recently read an article on babycenter.com, that was titled “Top 10 Surprises Of New Parenthood.” The article completely opened my eyes and made me want to create my own list. Because in this crazy world of learning how to become a parent, there are stresses, there are laughs and there are a lot of yawns, but no matter what, this is an amazing journey. So, here’s my list.

Top 10 Things I Never Expected When I Became A Parent

1. Losing The “Morning Person” Label. Pre-pregnancy, weekends were never for sleeping in. There was just too much to do. Now, if I can get up, feed Noah and crawl back into bed, I take it. Even though he sleeps through the night, I’m still exhausted.

2. Nothing Can Disgust Me Anymore. Baby = Dirty diapers. Need I say more?

3. Time Flies. It amazes me how fast 30 minutes can go by now. I can have a plan in place to sweep the floors, and Noah will look at me with his big, gummy grin and before I know it, I’m holding him, talking to him and a half an hour is gone.

4. I Truly, Honestly Don’t Know Where The Energy Comes From. By the time I get to work, I feel like I’ve lived a whole day. And, then there’s 8+ hours to get through before the drive home, dinner, maybe a workout, Noah’s bath, bottle and bed (The BBB combo). And surprisingly, I manage somehow to do all of that without any kind of nap. This is way abnormal for me because as many know, I have a little battery. It must be some sort of new mom thing. Or super doses of adrenaline.

5. I Move Much, Much More Slowly. This is something that I didn’t really notice until Mike mentioned it, but for some reason it takes me longer to do anything. Maybe it’s because of #3, or maybe it’s because leaving the house now requires much more preparation than grabbing the keys and leaving. Maybe it’s the extra pregnancy pounds I still need to shed, but I move more slowly.

6. I’ve Had To Become A Lot More Lenient With Myself. I’m going to say it. Pregnancy packed on 48 pounds. Forty-eight pounds. And, no, nursing didn’t magically make it all fall off. Quite the opposite. So, I’m learning to be more accepting of the fact that the weight didn’t come on overnight, so it’s not going to fall off overnight. I’m accepting that working out usually comes in around last place on the list of things to do each day. So, I know that it might be another 9 months before I fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothes, but I’m working at it. I’m accepting each glorious lost pound, one at a time, and I look at Noah and realize that he is worth each and every pound gained.

7. There Really, Truly Is Something About Being A Mom. Other moms smile at you in public. People stop you to ask to see your baby. (This is incredibly strange to me. We’ve had people in parking lots stop their cars and ask to see Noah. Very strange.) It’s an insta-community when you’re out in public.

8. Banana Republic: Out; Babies R Us: In. Yeah, there’s really not much shopping anymore with my favorites. Banana Republic. Ann Taylor. Gone. A real treat now is shopping for Noah. I could shop for him all the live long day. I love the days when the new Babies R Us coupons come in the mail…”Score! There’s a coupon for diapers!” Who knew?

9. The Love Is Instant. And Unconditional. I now understand what my mom meant when she would tell me she would love me no matter what. I understand now what my parents meant when they said all they wanted was for me to be happy. I understand now why my parents did everything and anything in their power to make sure I was okay. I understand why my dad came and moved me out of my first college because I was a wreck and didn’t make me stick it out. I get it. Because once your baby is born, nothing matters but their health and their happiness. And I will fight for that for Noah.

10. Parenthood Opens Up A Whole New Meaning Of Love For Your Spouse. And It Makes You Appreciate The Little Things. Without getting too overly emotional and mushy, becoming a parent has made me see Mike in a whole new light. And, it’s a good light. He’s the best dad, hands down. And it's not because he has been looking for a go-kart for Noah since the day we found out we were having a boy. That’s not what makes him a great dad. It’s all the little things. It’s the willingness to drag himself out of bed in the middle of the night if Noah wakes up, it’s the willingness to change the dirtiest of diapers or the excitement at giving Noah his next bottle. Sure, these are things that you might say every dad should do, but honestly, I know I’m darn lucky. And besides, there is no better moment than when Mike is making Noah laugh and I see both of my boys with the biggest grins and having the time of their lives.

That’s it. That’s my list. I know it will change as Noah grows and goes through new stages. But for now, life is good and I see all of the unexpected as good things.

Much love,
Ash


1 comment:

Alison Hunt said...

Ashley ~ I absolutely love this post. Every single one of these things holds true for me as well. It was refreshing to read about the weigh loss because, like you, I did not shed my pregnancy pounds with breast feeding. Ethan is 13 months and I still have about 10 lbs to lose. UGH! Oh well, having Ethan in our lives is worth those 10 lbs.! I also move much slower now, maybe that is why I can't shed those pounds!!! Anyway, hope you are doing great and enjoying every minute wiht Noah!
Alison