Saturday, March 21, 2009

Less Than 4 Weeks To The Big Birthday

That’s what we’ve been calling it. The Big Birthday. Admittedly, it makes me feel better. Less nervous about the actual giving birth part and more excited about the celebration that will ensue after his arrival. I always like a good party, and a birthday party isn’t a birthday party without a birthday cake. Yes, there will be birthday cake at the hospital to welcome our little man. (Thanks to my mom, her last stop before leaving Muncie to get here when we give her “the call” is at a wonderful little bakery that makes amazing cakes to make sure we have a proper celebration!)

There’s been lots going on and a lot of waiting in the last several weeks. Mike finally made his last business trip this last week back to Atlanta and I am so thoroughly excited that he is finished with trips until well after the baby arrives. We’ve both been crazy-busy at work, which we feel blessed with, especially when the news we hear everyday isn’t as great around the country.

I can pretty much say that when it comes to the material needs for a baby, we’re ready. His room is ready, there are diapers, wipes, pacifiers and lots and lots of clothes. (Which are of course organized in his closet by size. Not too big of a surprise to anyone that knows me!) We had a great weekend at the beginning of March with my dad and Ash B. where we got to introduce my dad to Babies R Us. Honestly, it was quite possibly the most adorable scene I had ever seen – my dad scurrying around Babies R Us to make sure that our little guy (and more importantly, his grandson) has everything he needs to be comfortable and happy. We feel so very, very blessed for both of our families and all of our friends that have been so generous in making sure our little man has everything he needs.

Now, to how I’ve been feeling…for the most part, I’m doing well. I have nothing to compare it too, so I just assume that I’m feeling good. Sure, I have my days where it is just so uncomfortable to sit at my desk that I can hardly stand it, but I’m hanging in there. The evenings are probably the worst – I now completely believe that the beginnings of sleep deprivation that occur in the 3rd trimester are preparing you for after the baby comes. I would have to say that I’m pretty much waking up every hour to two hours, either just plain uncomfortable, or with raging heartburn. But, I wouldn’t trade a minute of it. This has been such a wonderful experience and to know that at the end of it, our son will be here is just the greatest feeling.

We also got to make our last trip back to Indiana at the end of February for a lovely baby shower. My dear friends Culleen, Allison, Patti and Megan threw a wonderful shower for me that was just the greatest afternoon with dear family and friends!


We’ll keep everyone posted in the next couple of weeks, as we count down to April 18th!

Love, Ash

No comments: