Friday, October 10, 2008

The Last 13 Weeks

12 Weeks, 1 Day
Thirteen. For some, it’s a lucky number. For me, it’s been a number that I’ve been yearning for since August 6th. August 6th – the day we found out that we’re going to be blessed with a beautiful baby. The day that everything changed.

Today, we’re 13 weeks pregnant and I am a happy, happy girl. We’re a happy, happy family. With each passing day and week, the reality that we’re having a baby is becoming more and more real. And when you have the symptoms I’ve had, the reality of having a baby sets in pretty quickly.

For a quick recap of the last 9 weeks, here goes (since there are always lots of questions and I’ve started to see just how much valuable advice there is out there from moms who have come before me):

- Morning sickness? Yes or no? Yes. Yes. And Yes. I had morning sickness. For about 5 weeks, which I am blessed. Each morning that I was dealing with it, I just kept saying the same mantra: “This is the best worst feeling I have ever had.” And, then one day, I woke up and was great.

- Total Lack Of Energy? Yes. It took just about everything I had in me to get through the work day and make the drive home from work. Falling asleep at 7:45 on the couch became a pretty regular occurrence. Poor Mike.

- Cravings? Not so much in those first weeks. Now, kinda.

- Food Aversions? Bring ‘em on. No milk or dairy. Couldn’t stand the sight of it. All I wanted was ice, Sprite, popsicles, fruit and sherbet. Oh yeah, and for those of you that really know me, anything breaded or fried has never been up for grabs. Not so now. Grilled chicken – no way. Breaded/fried chicken – bring it on. One of Mike’s favorite stories so far was one of my grocery trips. I actually came home with kids chicken nuggets in the shape of dinosaurs.

So, as of today, I feel pretty good. I’m still tired. Really tired. But, again, this is the best tired feeling I’ve ever had. And, the great news is that with each doctor’s visit we’ve had, the news has been wonderful. At 8 weeks, we got to see our little one and heard its heartbeat. We were even amazed to see that our little one was kicking its legs and moving its arms around. 12 weeks continued to give us great news as we saw the little one moving again and seeing how big it is becoming. It’s truly, truly an amazing gift.

My plan is to keep this updated now. Especially since there will be lots to report on! And, for those of who wondering, we are going to find out if we’re having a boy or a girl – just wait until Thanksgiving!!

Love to all,
Ash

No comments: